2017 Spring Institute
Co-Sponsored by the Christian Study Center of Gainesville
and the Gainesville Pastoral Formation Program.
Hosted by City Church.
“Through the Eyes of C.S. Lewis: Medieval Wisdom for Everyday Life”
Free Public Lecture, 7:30 p.m. Monday, March 27, 2017
“Getting Medieval on Health, Art, Science, Private Virtue, Public Ethics, and More”
All-day Institute, Tuesday, March 28, 2017
Dr. Chris Armstrong is the director of “Opus: The Art of Work” at Wheaton College and the author of Medieval Wisdom for Modern Christians. He brought his expertise in medieval history to guide clergy and ministry leaders in recovering the medieval mind on practical issues of spirituality and human life.
We are unable to offer a recording of these lectures. However, you can find other lectures and material by Dr. Armstrong at the following links:
Made To Work, Made To Worship
2015 Summer Institute on Faith and Vocation
James K. A. Smith, Professor of Philosophy at Calvin College and Editor of Comment Magazine, led a weekend intensive of lectures and discussions incorporating biblical wisdom and contemporary scholarship focused on how what we do shapes who we are.
- Part 1: You Are What You Love: Curating the Hearts of Culture Makers
- Part 2: Everything Matters: Vocation is for Lovers
- Part 3: What Are We (Re)Made For? Bearing God’s Image at Work
- Part 4: How Culture Forms Us: “Secular” Liturgies and Office Rituals
- Part 5: How (Not) To Be Secular: Understanding Your Workplace
- Part 6: Desire (by) Design: Imagining the World Otherwise
- Part 7: Review and Discussion led by Richard Horner